Have you SEEN me?

Formerly Not So Much. . .the daily musings of a 26-year-old PYT whose self-love is superceded only by her obnoxiously endearing ability to remind you at all times just how fabulous she is. Guys too stupid to realize how lucky they are to be graced with her presence? Woman with 4-pack abs climbs onto the elliptical trainer next to her? Arrives at Chick-Fil-A at 10:37, only to learn she has missed her opportunity for a chicken biscuit? She throws all these setbacks off with disdain. . .after all, have you SEEN her??

Friday, May 21, 2004

My Nemesis

Ladies, I have arrived. Apparently, I have a nemesis. This person is a shorter, dumpier, less cute, more cynical and negative version of me (and when I say "version of me" I mean we both have brown hair and brown eyes). She went to law school with me, and I am just now picking up on a pattern of things that never quite go as well for her as for me, as she relays them to other people. Example, we went to the same hairdresser in Athens, and she went to my girl here once too: of both, she says, "Yeah, I went to the same person as Molly, but my hair just never looks as good as hers." Apparently, that is a theme in her life: I'm just as good as Molly, but I never quite do as well as she does, with jobs, with guys, with hair, with whatever.

This person has told me two stories in the last couple months, with much glee, about people I have dated. The first was a story of my boyfriend of 2 years, whom I had just broken up with. Apparently, he hooked up with another girl in law school about the time we started dating. She's been gleefully waiting for the right moment to reveal this for two years. Still not sure it's totally true. Secondly, last night she revealed to me that she knew it was "over" with Scott like a week before I did. As I pieced together the puzzle, I realize that if her story is true, there were several conversations we had after she allegedly "knew" it was "over," that make NO SENSE whatsoever, including an email she sent me asking how things were going with us.

She was either deliberately hiding her knowledge, or she made up what she "knew" after the fact (I suspect the latter). I really think this is what happened. She emailed me to ask how things were going, I emailed back, he's an ass, I'll fill you in later. She tells her male buddy who likes to gossip like a little girl, "Hey things are sour with Molly and Scott. Find out what happened from [Scott's friend who went to law school with us.]" Giddy-like-a-girl goes to Mutual Friend and Mutual Friend (who is not giddy like a girl) says something like, "I don't know. Were they still talking? I don't really keep up with what's going on with them." Giddy goes back and says, "[Mutual Friend] says they weren't even going out!!!" Hence, she "knew" that we were "over" for at least some length of time prior to her email to me. Either that of Mutual Friend volunteered in the course of conversation to Giddy that he didn't know if we were going out (again, cause Scott and MF don't gossip like girls) and Giddy took it to mean we were "over." And Nemesis lives through other people's lives, so she took much glee in her inside knowledge.

The plot has since thickened. Another female friend just revealed to me that Nemesis has made comments to her like in the vein of "oh no, it's happened again," that "I met this guy, but just my luck, he's already met Molly." This happened with JAG lawyer guy, and apparently, I am putting together now that Nemesis exhibited signs of liking Scott before I went out with him. Well, Nemesis, he's all yours. Now that I am out of the picture, you should be able to land him, right??

(Those who know Nemesis know that no, this will not be happening. . .while I am a convenient excuse for her not being able to land the guys she wants, in reality, she would have no trouble being rejected by them on her own. Is that ugly? Cause she's NOT CUTE, and her personality, rather than compensating for, detracts from, her appearance. I'm sorry, I'm just a little bitter I realize that she's been scheming and gossiping behind my back.)

|